Sections

Thursday, May 30, 2013

May You Live in Interesting Times . . .

Listeners of the D6 Generation will by now be aware, I've been working with Romeo Filip, Chad Cooper, and a host of others in the formation of a new game company called Outlaw Miniatures, and on their first game, Wild West Exodus. The Kickstarter was amazingly successful, making over $320,000 with over 1000 backers. The rulebook is nearly done as I write this (over 100,000 words of just fluff when all is said and done), and I've just finished the entire first year of the comic, finally wrestling it into something resembling a coherent traditional story arc. In addition I'm just wrapping up the short story for Extra life featuring Peter West, the winner of the contest, as a Prussian bureaucrat who discovers something sinister afoot on the front lines and rushes into battle to save the day. It's been a LONG time coming, but it's nearly done now, so . . . I'm tempted to gloss over my pathetic timing on this one with the egregious "Better late than never!" But even my hypocrisy does not reach that far. Nevertheless, it IS almost done, so huzzah for that! And of course, there have been several more FFG assignments, including a SUPER exciting introductory assignment for the new Star Wars RPG series!

But as exciting as all of that is, and
 believe me, it's exciting . . . it doesn't scratch the surface for my new news . . . hmmm . . . that was less than elegant . . . Anyway . . . I've signed a multi-book novel deal!

Working with Outlaw Miniatures and Winged Hussar Publishing's fledgling fiction imprint Zmok Books, I have been signed on to write not one but TWO novels set in the Wild West Exodus world, beginning and ending a three book story arc, with Black Library veteran C.L. Werner writing the middle book.

The official announcements recently went out, and Winged Hussar is currently at a massive U.S. tradeshow pitching the series to the major book dealers of North America, to bolster our existing electronic distribution deals. So . . . yeah . . . I know I’ve said this before, many times, but I STILL have trouble believing this is not a dream!

I have wanted to be a writer since I was about 5, when my grandmother helped me put together a little book about a little raincloud that felt unwanted because everyone always wanted it to be sunny . . .  and now here I am!

So, that’s it for now. I’m going to try (I know, I always say that), to pop in here more often as I put my already-sharp nose to the grindstone. TWO novels in FOUR months . . . some say it can’t be done! My contract says it MUST! So, check in, and I’ll try to pop in from time to time to let you know how things are going. This is just the tip of the iceberg of my oh-so-interesting times.

I will leave you with the covers of my two novels (proofs, I might change how my name appears if possible . . . what do you all think? Craig Gallant, or Craig L. Gallant?).

Thanks for sticking with me, and tallyho!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your book deal Craig, what an exiting time this is for you. I've listened to you speak of your desire to be a professional writer many times on the D6G, and I'm glad it's now coming together for you. Well done, you!

    My opinion is that Craig L. Gallant is the more visually appealing option. It also seems somehow more professional.

    Anyway, Good on ya' mate. And don't let this writing business absorb all your gaming time.

    Cheers,

    Ben Watkins

    ReplyDelete